Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hobbies & Activities with FMS/CFIDS, or An Ode to Hands

I am awaiting the results of my nutritional panel, but my last appointment with my internist presented me with mixed results. I am otherwise-healthy (Thank God), but as expected I tested positive for Epstein-Barr Virus and deficient in vitamin D. After my nutritional panel, I intend to get a referral to a good neurologist, to ensure that I am exploring all avenues of potential treatment. I like to be very proactive about my health - especially since I am young & believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

This is also the last weekend before my spring semester. I am officially a junior in college, woo-hoo! To enjoy myself this last weekend of freedom, I have decided to indulge in a few of my favorite hobbies.

Hobbies & Activities for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Patients


Finding, or maintaining, hobbies or activities while you are struggling with a flare can be difficult. But, having a hobby or doing something you enjoy can help you to cope with the pain. For example, I am experiencing a flare this weekend, but I can still enjoy blogging, a hobby of mine, as well as other less physically taxing pastimes, like reading, painting my nails, drawing and painting or crafting.

I have always loved to paint my nails, ever since I was a little girl. I have devoted countless hours to perfecting my manicure technique, and I have spent a small fortune in nail polish. Thankfully, my FMS does not hurt my hands (if you have pain in your hands or Rheumatoid Arthritis, this and other dexterity-oriented activities may not be for you) so even during a flare, my nails can look fabulous.

Color Block Nail Art
Bright colors help me feel better during a fibro flare!


The PolishAholic is a blog dedicated to manicures and all of the latest trends in nail art. She reviews a lot of different types of nail polish and nail products and best of all she shows you swatches so you can see what a color looks like before you try it yourself.

OPI Nail Polis Colors


Of course, sometimes the best thing you can do during a flare (aside from rest up) is to go ahead and treat yourself to a relaxing mani-pedi at your favorite salon or spa.

Nail Art
Ooh, la la! I should just make a post about nails!


When my nails are nice and dry, its time to move on to another favorite hobby, which is drawing. I love to find reference material online, and use it to create an interpretation of my imagination. This is especially soothing when I feel frustrated or saddened by being confined in a body that is always in pain. Drawing helps me focus my thoughts and utilize my imagination, and becomes very soothing.

Sometimes my drawings are the basis for watercolor paintings. Rarely, these paintings are done in a day, but most of the time they are an ongoing process which takes me a few weeks. I haven't painted much since I started going to school full-time and working full-time, but I intend to start again.


Here you can view some incredible watercolor paintings for inspiration.


I have recently begun to needle felt, as well. I have made a sheep, and I want to make him a few companions and a herding dog to keep them in line! I would love to felt a Nativity scene for next Christmas, as well. However, you can also make bags, hats, decorations and embellishments. Living Felt is a great website for the beginning needle felt crafter.

Last but not least is my favorite hobby of all...

My rabbit, hiding behind a throw pillow on  my couch.
Spending time with and caring for my pet rabbit!



Thar wiggly little nose is reason enough to drag myself out of bed every morning!

1 comment:

  1. Your rabbit is adorable! I love my cuddly puppy the same way. He gets me out of bed in the morning. Unfortunately, my fibromyalgia includes pain in my hands so I can't enjoy those hobbies :( But I do try to make sure I am doing something to recharge everyday.. sometimes that's just taking a nice scented bath. Can I ask how long you've had symptoms? Mine started about a year ago.

    Laurie
    http://fibroisnotmyfriend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete